And now for a[nother] nutritional break…
We have been juicing broccoli stems in a green drink this past week, leaving us with lots of broccoli to eat. I found the perfect recipe to enliven your taste buds as a lunch or dinner accompaniment.
When it comes to broccoli, most of us probably boil or roast all the fabulous nutrients right out of this awesome vegetable. As Kris Carr contributor Jennifer Reilly RD LD writes, “Raw broccoli is actually better than cooked since heat damages myrosinase–an enzyme necessary for the production of sulforaphane, a precancerous cell ninja destroyer.” We like these types of wellness armed ninjas so read more of Jennifer’s Raw vs. Cooked recommendations here to make sure you’re optimizing the health benefits of your vegetables.
Now let’s get chopping:
Use as many organic ingredients as possible.
Raw Broccoli Wonder
- 1 head of broccoli tops with some of the stem, chopped
- Juice of one whole lemon
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (or slightly more to taste)
- 1/2 cup basil
- 1/4 teaspoon Himalayan Pink Salt (or other high mineral salt)
- Red pepper flakes to finish
1. Combine all of the ingredients and stir to coat.
2. Let sit an hour before serving.
3. Eat and enjoy the zing!
Adapted from Amanda Carney; we can’t digest raw garlic nicely, so we had to leave that recommended ingredient out. But you might like it just fine.